Urgent Law Enforcement Requests
If you have an urgent request, please contact the Law Enforcement 24/7 Hotline at 1-800-654-5060.
Law Enforcement Requests
If Hertz has information necessary to assist law enforcement or government agencies, we will make it available when presented with valid legal process. We disclose data to law enforcement and other government agencies when our legal department determines that we are required to do so by law. In those instances, we will search for and securely disclose data that we are reasonably able to locate and retrieve.
What We Retain
This may include but is not limited to:
- Name, email address, telephone number, and addresses on file;
- Government issued identification required for booking or identity verification, such as, driver’s licenses;
- Rental transaction information such as, rental dates and times, miles driven, vehicle make and model, Vehicle Identification Number, license plate numbers, etc.;
- Payment information such as payment card number and expiration date;
- Loyalty program and membership information;
- Renter birthdate; and
- Images, videos, and other recordings.
What form of requests does Hertz require?
The Hertz Corporation is unable to process overly broad, vague, or unduly burdensome requests. Please ensure that your request is narrowly tailored to a legitimate law enforcement requirement.
We will only consider law enforcement requests that satisfy the applicable process above and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Requests must be typed on the provided Law Enforcement Request Form. Handwritten requests will not be accepted;
- Duly signed and stamped by the appropriate law enforcement officer who is empowered by applicable law to represent the law enforcement unit that is making the request;
- In full compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations; and
Requests must contain the following detailed information:
- All known email addresses, names, and aliases of data subject or all known physical addresses and telephone numbers of the data subject;
- Your name, department, title, street address, telephone number and official government domain email address;
- Clearly identify the investigation or specific event that took place that is the underlying basis for the request;
- Specify date/time/location(s); and
- Exactly what information you're requesting, why you're requesting it, and how it pertains to your investigation.
To submit a request to Hertz’s Law Department, law enforcement or government agencies conducting criminal investigations should submit their request to firstname.lastname@example.org, by either completing the form below or by submitting an official subpoena request, search warrant, preservation request, etc.
We will not respond to requests or civil subpoenas sent by non-law enforcement officials. If you are a private party seeking user data from The Hertz Corporation for use in civil proceedings, this section will provide information on how to submit civil subpoenas or other third-party requests to The Hertz Corporation.
Serving Civil Subpoenas and Third-Party Requests
The Hertz Corporation will only respond to valid legal requests for user data (including subpoenas and court orders).
You can serve the Hertz Corporation with the civil request through the appropriate office of The Hertz Corporation’s registered service agent, CT Corporation Service Company (or “CT Corporation”). You may find a location near you here.
© 2021 The Hertz System, Inc.